This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
Information We May Collect About You
With regard to each of your visits to this site, we may automatically collect this information.
- Technical information, including the type of mobile device you use, a unique identifier (for example, mobile network information, your mobile operating system, the type of mobile browser you use (Device Information);
- Details of your use of any your visits to any of our site and the resources that you access (Log Information);
- Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, browser type and version, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site, (including date and time); product you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information
- Location Information. e.g. a region within the United Kingdom
- We may also use GPS technology to determine your current location. Some of our location-enabled services require your personal data for the feature to work. If you wish to use the particular feature, you will be asked to consent to your data being used for this purpose. You can enable or disable location services when you use our Service at any time through your mobile device settings (Location Information)
- Questions, queries or feedback you leave, including your email address if you contact The Department for Transport.
Information we receive from other sources.
We may receive information about you if you use any of the sites we operate or the other services we provide. In this case we will have informed you when we collected that data that it may be shared internally and combined with data collected on our site. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, subcontractors, delivery services, analytics providers, search information providers) and may receive information about you from them.
This data can be viewed by authorised people in the Department for Transport (DfT) and our suppliers, to:
- improve the site by monitoring how you use it
- gather feedback to improve our services, for example our email alerts
- respond to any feedback you send us, if you’ve asked us to
- send email alerts to users who request them
- provide you with information about local services if you want it.
Personal Information we collect about you
Newsletter sign up form:
We ask for your name and email address when you sign up to our newsletter so we can contact you to send our monthly newsletter or to contact you about the Year of Engineering activities.
Sign up your organisation to become a registered partner:
We ask for your name and email address when you register to become a partner so we can contact you about Year of Engineering activities that might be relevant.
We may share your name and email address with our suppliers (23Red and Hopscotch) but only for the purposes of delivering and supporting the Year of Engineering. We will not use your data for any purpose outside of the Year of Engineering.
Events Map and Partner Calendar:
We ask for your name and email address when you submit Year of Engineering events so that we can validate activity as required. We may also contact you for evaluation purposes.
We may share your details with our suppliers (23Red and Hopscotch) but only for the purposes of delivering and supporting the Year of Engineering. We will not use your data for any purpose outside of the Year of Engineering.
Protecting your information
How Cookies Are Used On The Year Of Engineering Website
Yearofengineering.gov.uk puts small files (known as ‘cookies’) onto your computer to collect information about how you browse the site.
Cookies are used to measure how you use the website so it can be updated and improved based on your needs.
Measuring website usage (Google Analytics)
We use Google Analytics software to collect information about how you use yearofengineering.gov.uk. We do this to help make sure the site is meeting the needs of its users and to help us make improvements, for example improving site search.
Google Analytics stores information about:
- the pages you visit on yearofengineering.gov.uk
- how long you spend on each yearofengineering.gov.uk page
- how you got to the site
- what you click on while you’re visiting the site.
We don’t collect or store your personal information (for example your name or address) so this information can’t be used to identify who you are.
We do not allow Google to use or share our analytics data.
Google Analytics sets the following cookies:
|_ga||This helps us count how many people visit the site by tracking if you’ve visited before||2 years|
|_gid||This helps us count how many people visit by tracking if you’ve visited before||24 hours|
|_gat||Used to manage the rate at which page view requests are made||10 minutes|
We use YouTube to provide videos on some pages of the site. YouTube sets cookies when you visit one of these pages.
|VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE||Lets Youtube count the views of embedded Youtube videos||9 months|
Browser Upgrade Prompt
We log a cookie the first time you visit the Year of Engineering website to let us know you’ve visited once.
If you’re using an out-of-date browser the next time you visit, we’ll show you a message suggesting you upgrade.
We’ll also save a cookie that lets us know you don’t want to see the prompt if you dismiss it.
Keeping Your Data Secure
Sending information over the internet is generally not completely secure, and we can’t guarantee the security of your data while it’s in transit.
Any data you send is at your own risk.
We have procedures and security features in place to keep your data secure once we receive it.
Disclosing Your Information
We won’t share your information with any other organisations for any wider marketing purpose, market research or commercial purposes, and we don’t pass on your details to other websites. We may share your data with our suppliers but only for the purposes of delivering and supporting the Year of Engineering and any service that you have signed up for e.g. ordering printed materials.
Links To Other Websites
This website contains links to other websites.
Following A Link To Another Website
Following A Link To The Year Of Engineering From Another Website